Why We Rock
Just Roughin' It was started in 2006 by Ray and myself (Debbie) Hendricks. Ray is a corporate refugee with an MBA and 15 years experience in a Fortune 500 company and I have 5 years experience in marketing also in a Fortune 500 company, with 12 years in teaching Exercise Science and personal training and the same number of years in post-graduate education attempting to finish a PhD - yikes! It is the years of backpacking and the love for the wilderness and getting "lost" in Mother Nature - and just a touch of insanity - that drove us to start this company. Getting away from the real world and finding your own mental and physical strength to leave the creature comforts of civilization and learn something big (or small) about yourself when depending on your own motivation and physical ability while in the outdoors is important for anyone's well-being and is what we hope guests come away with from our trips. And if you don't come out with pure inspiration, then at least you will have pure perspiration.
Why Choose Just Roughin' It?
- First - we are just plain awesome! We are not some stuffy tour company having you pose for an awkward family photo outside a tour van. We have fun and are edgy.
- If you are looking into a Grand Canyon or other Arizona hiking or backpacking trip, we can pick you up from Phoenix instead of you having to rent a car or find transportation to Flagstaff or the Grand Canyon. We can also pick up in Flagstaff or meet you at the Grand Canyon if you so choose.
- We also now provide roundtrip transportation for all Yosemite trips from Fresno, CA for a hassle free drive to the park - no more struggling to find parking or driving through the Valley at 1 mph! We can still meet you at the park if that is of your liking.
- We believe in giving back to the community! We are proud supporters of the Grand Canyon Association, helping fund their virtual learning program and Donor's Choose, helping fund environmental class projects in various classrooms nationwide.
- Find out about our trips from past guests straight from them via Facebook, Google or Trip Advisor.
- We can complete the orientation online through our blog and there is always a Just Roughin' It representative to assist you. No need to meet the day before.
- Speaking of the blog - we have a real cool one with a lot of stuff about everything Arizona, Olympic, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, outdoors, backpacking, fitness or just whatever crosses our minds and feel the need to blog about!
- While the other guide companies offer softer adventures; such as mule assist, lodge-based or driving tours, we offer only those that require extra effort to make sure it is a trip of a lifetime - by foot, kayak or packraft. No, our trips may not be for everyone, but you will be a member of an elite group. Maybe your only chance to be a member of the 1%!
- Our food is fantastic - a chef from a local organic restaurant helped develop our menu. Any company can do a pasta dish. We have dishes like no other West coast, Southwest or Arizona adventure tour company since the menu is custom made for us.
- The office staff also hikes and guides so you are getting information from people who know the area.
- Your trip is set up by Just Roughin' It, not your guide. This means everyone has a consistent trip regardless of who the guide is. Other companies have their independent contractors set up the trips and guide; therefore, the gear, menu and details are only as good as their guide.
- We are a company that is owned by business people that love to hike and guide, not guides trying to run a business because they want to get paid to hike. It is this business and real world experience that helps us best understand and serve our guests.
- We outfit each guest with $800-$1,000 worth of gear. We use the best gear on the market. Our typical pack weight including food, water and your gear is 25 - 40lbs depending on the length and type of trip.
- Time permitting; our guides take you to places that you will not find in any guide book.
- One of our Grand Canyon hikes was listed in US News and World Reports Workout Vacations; check it out on our Newsroom page. We have also had write ups in National Geographic and Vogue.com, as well as regional papers such as the Albuquerque Journal and Calgary Herald.
- We have an adjunct professor for Exercise Science on staff with 12 years experience of training individuals for endurance sports and all levels of fitness, who can answer any questions you may have about preparing for your trip.
- And, we just have fun - this is your tour!